See what Winshuttle can do for you
SAP eCATT (or CATT) is a tool provided by SAP to automatically test SAP business processes. eCATT is intended for technical users and typically requires developer-level authorizations. Additionally, eCATT has some severe limitations and cannot handle many types of data.
Key differences between Winshuttle Transaction and eCATT
- Purpose: eCATT uses command-based programming to create scripts while non-technical users can easily create scripts with Winshuttle Transaction.
- Authorizations: eCATT requires developer authorizations while Transaction does not require developer authorizations except for current authorizations.
- Shuttle file/program maintenance: Unlike eCATT scripts, Transaction Shuttle files do not require users to remove or transport them from one SAP system to another. eCATT requires users to create an RFC to connect to different SAP systems and requires transports, too. Shuttle files can run against any SAP system directly from Transaction.
- Complex transactions: Transaction can easily handle header-detail transactions, cell-based mapping, and grids in transactions — like sales orders and hierarchical screens — using a simple three-step process: record, map, and run. Similar tasks can be more complex and expensive with eCATT, primarily due to expensive SAP ABAP and BASIS resource requirements to develop processes.
- Results and error handling: Transaction error highlighting, run-on-errors, and step-by-step features are all advanced error-handling options accessible to all users. eCATT programs do not have these features by default, making error handling in eCATT difficult. eCATT gives a detailed log and requires users to analyze each log to find the result, and debugging errors in eCATT requires the skill set of an ABAP developer.
- Data upload: With Transaction, users can easily upload data maintained in Excel or Access into any SAP system using transaction codes instead of writing directly to database tables. In eCATT, users must maintain data as variants and is more complex than Excel or Access. For example, in a multi-table update a user may encounter a situation where a series of tables are updated while one table update may encounter an error. This event requires extensive debugging and data recalibration to retain the integrity of the information maintained in the database.
- Integration: Transaction integrates seamlessly with Excel and Access, which makes data maintenance and readability easy. Additionally, using Winshuttle Direct, Winshuttle authors can integrate SAP BAPIs into the Winshuttle record, map, and run process. Integrating an Excel file to eCATT requires many steps and eCATT does not support integration with Access.
- Versioning: The same version of Transaction runs against all the current SAP versions. In eCATT, version details need to be maintained in every script for it to run against different SAP versions.
- Connectivity: Transaction connects to any SAP system during record or runtime by making RFC calls. With eCATT, users need to maintain the RFC system details for every script to run.
- User interface: Transaction provides an intuitive graphical user interface for easy mapping between the fields in SAP to the values maintained in the data file. eCATT has no “mapper” screen where users can see the data mapped and the fields on a single screen.
- Back up SAP data: Transaction backs up (downloads) existing SAP data before uploading the new data into SAP. eCATT has no such feature.
- Excel add-in feature: The Transaction Excel add-in allows users to upload their data into SAP from the Excel environment. eCATT has no such feature.
- Run not posted: Transaction checks if the data in the Excel or Access template has already been posted, which prevents duplication of documents, sales orders, and other data. eCATT has no such feature.
- Run-time software: Transaction is available in developer and runtime versions. eCATT is just one tool and has no such versions.
- Support: Winshuttle offers round-the-clock support (24 hours a day, 5 days a week) in three locations worldwide: Seattle, London, and Chandigarh (India). SAP does not offer phone support for eCATT.